So you were diagnosed with PCOS, now what? Since insulin resistance is linked with PCOS diet is now an actual treatment in this disorder. Woman who thrive with PCOS know that diet is your one true medication. The right foods will actually heal extremely challenging symptoms.
PCOS Diet Rules
- Avoid processed and refined foods such as white flour, sugar, breads, and pasta. Instead, eat whole gluten-free grains like oatmeal, brown rice, millet, amaranth and quinoa.
- Drink two liters of purified water a day. Avoid high-fructose corn-syrup, and artificial sweeteners. Try flavoring your water with fresh citrus such as lemons and oranges. You can also try mint and my all time favorite; cucumber.
- Eat packaged foods with all-natural ingredients. The trick is to find food products that have 5 of less all-natural ingredients listed. The less that is added to the product, the better the product is for you.
- Drink alcohol sparingly, don’t make it an everyday occurrence. While beer is nothing but empty calories, an occasional glass of wine is okay as long as you’re not over-doing it. If you drink too much wine, the benefits are reversed.
- Combine a lean protein and complex carb for every meal. For example; Simply prepare some oatmeal and serve warm with Greek yogurt, slivered almonds and a sliced banana to reap a hefty dose of protein and complex carbs for breakfast.
- Take food with you. Have you ever been starving but forgot to pack a healthy lunch? More than likely if you’re hungry you are going to settle for whatever food is near you at the time. Also remember it’s important to eat every 3-4 hours, but not to over-eat.
If your a beginner go ahead and start making small changes.
Make this instead of that.
- If your craving a milkshake replace refined sugar with Dates. Dates are especially sweet and I promise you, you won’t taste much of a difference.
- If you do decide to make pancakes (which can be gluten free) replace the butter and syrup with fruit compote.
- Make a change to your sandwiches by replacing mayo with avocado. It’s delicious! I’m a big avocado fan!
- Try baked Zuccini instead of French Fries. I haven’t tried it myself, but it looks delicious! I will be making some soon.
- Use lettuce instead of tortillas or even bread. I like to make cucumber sandwiches! They’re really refreshing in the summer
- Eat frozen grapes instead of candy. Grapes are especially sweet when they’re frozen!
These are only a few suggestions out of hundreds. I could spend hours showing you food replacements, but these are some of my favorites. Go ahead and give them a try. I bet you won’t be disappointed. Our society has a warped view of healthy food because of that gross stuff they sell that’s calorie free at the grocery store. I’m here to tell you that slim fast and those low-calorie bars that taste like dirt aren’t even that good for you. The best products are the products that naturally grow from our earth’s soil.